Read about recent and upcoming events, the latest news and other features from Western Libraries Heritage Resources.
Western Libraries’ Heritage Resources is delighted to announce the recipients of the 2012-2013 James W. Scott Research Fellowship Awards. The fellowships are awarded in honor of the late Dr. James W. (Jim) Scott, a founder and first Director of the Center for Pacific Northwest Studies, and a noted scholar of the Pacific Northwest region. Awards are granted to two scholars who will undertake significant research in the historical collections of the Center for Pacific Northwest Studies, Western Libraries Special Collections or the WWU Archives and Records Center.
The Senior Fellow for 2012-13 is Dr. Polly Myers. Dr. Myers is a History Instructor at Western Washington University. She is presently conducting research about the employment of women at the Boeing Company in the postwar period, and has a secondary project examining women’s roles in anti-nuclear protest in the Pacific Northwest. Dr. Myers will be in residence during Fall 2012, and will deliver a presentation on the topic of anti-nuclear protest in Spring 2013.
The Junior Fellowship has been awarded to Dr. Mary Erickson, an Instructor in the University of Oregon School of Journalism and Communication. Dr. Erickson is expected to be in residence on Western's campus in Spring or Summer 2013, and will pursue research about the history of audio-visual media production in the Pacific Northwest.
We offer hearty congratulations to both Fellows, and look forward to welcoming them to campus. For more information, please contact Heritage Resources at Heritage.Resources@wwu.edu.
Clara Weaver, Florence Pettibone, and Carrie Salvo on Pacific American Fisheries roof. (GB465)
Western Libraries Heritage Resources invites you to celebrate our rich documentary heritage by participating in a range of FREE events we're offering throughout the month:
- “Western Front Goes Digital: 110 Years of History” – Tuesday, October 9, 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. at Village Books in Fairhaven (part of Village Books’ Western Connections series)
- Basics of Historical Research Workshop – Saturday, October 20, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the Goltz-Murray Building (in partnership with the Washington State Archives, Northwest Branch)
- 2nd Annual Pecha-Kucha Presentation Event – Monday, October 22, 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at the Goltz-Murray Building (for History and Archival graduate students and Archives/Records Management professionals)
- History Day Teachers’ Workshop – Tuesday, October 23, 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at the Goltz-Murray Building (for educators interested in participating in National History Day)
- Open House – Saturday, October 27, 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the Goltz-Murray Building and Wilson Library 6th Floor (part of WWU’s Fall Family Open House)
The Winter 2012 issue of Easy Access, the quarterly publication of Northwest Archivists is now available! Lots of great news from around the region.