Bellingham Bay during the 1850’s - a brief introduction
Through photos, text and artifacts, this exhibit attempts to help the viewer gain an understanding of early Whatcom, a small settlement on Bellingham Bay that later became the city of Bellingham. Chief among the events during the 1850’s was the arrival of Captain George Pickett and the men from Company D, who built a fort to protect local citizens from northern Indian depravations. Pickett also built a house for his official military business and personal use, and it continues to stand on its original site to this day at 910 Bancroft Street. It is on the National Register of Historic Sites and maintained by the Daughters of the Pioneers of Washington State, Whatcom Chapter 5. Many of the artifacts and photos come from the house, which is available for tours the 2nd Sunday of every month, as well as by appointment.