Course Reserves FAQ
- What kind of material can be placed on course reserves?
- What Loan Periods are used for Materials on Course Reserve?
- How do students find Course Reserve Reading Lists?
- How do students find the Course Reserve Materials?
- What are the guidelines about using Course Reserve Materials?
WWU faculty can place materials on course reserve to support classroom assignments at any time. Many items are eligible for course reserve
- Any format, including print, media, and online
- All Wilson and Music Library Materials
- Full text articles from licensed electronic databases
- Instructor's personal copies of books and other materials
- Paper and scanned copies of material meeting Fair Use guidelines
- The instructors designate the loan period for print and media items on reserve for their students. The most common loan period is 2 hours. Other borrowing periods are 1 day, 3 days and 7 days. Videos on Course Reserve are checked out for four hours and can be viewed only in the library.
- Items on Course Reserve in the Music Library are available for two hour/in-library use only.
You can access the Course Reserves from within the corresponding Canvas course record by looking at the “Module” titled “Course Reserves.” Items in the list will either be electronic or physical.
- Electronic materials are accessible by clicking on the title of the item.
- Physical items are located in the Haggard 2 reserve area and are shelved according to call number. Library-owned books are shelved in Library of Congress call number order in the front of the Course Reserve area. Instructor’s personal books are assigned a numeric call number and are shelved numerically on the half-height shelves. Videos on reserve are located at the Circulation Services Desk in the Haggard wing of the library. They can be checked out for 4 hours and must be viewed in the library. There are three viewing stations available. A group viewing room is also available through the Circulation Desk.
Western Library Course Reserves
Western Library Video Course Reserves
Music Library Course Reserves
- Library-owned books retain their Library of Congress call numbers while on reserve. They are filed in call number order on the first set of shelves in the Reserve area adjacent to Circulation Services on the second floor of the Haggard Wing. Instructor’s personal books are assigned a numeric call number and are shelved numerically on the half-height shelves.
- Reserve items cannot be placed on recall or held behind the counter. All items must be returned to the area for 30 minutes before they can be checked out again.
- Videos on reserve in Wilson Library are located at the Circulation Desk on the second floor of the Haggard Wing of the library. Videos on reserve are checked out for 4 hours and must be viewed in the library. Viewing stations are located in the reserve area.
- Music Library Course Reserves items are located in closed stacks. Access to these materials is by request at the Music Library Circulation Desk.
- In Wilson Library, material on reserve can be used in the Reserve area. To be removed from the Reserve area all items must be checked out. Your Western Card is required to borrow any library material, including material on reserve. All reserve media must remain within Wilson Library.
- All items on Course Reserve in the Music Library are two-hour/in-library use only.
- Fines are charged for overdue course reserve items at a rate of $2.00 per hour.