Welcome to our library. The privilege of using the Western Libraries and its information resources is extended to everyone in the University community and to the general public. The Libraries support the Western community in their scholarly, research and creative endeavors; and the community-at-large in their information needs and intellectual inquiries. Library users should expect a safe, secure, and welcoming atmosphere, conducive to the appropriate use of library facilities, services and materials.
The privilege of using the library carries with it concomitant responsibilities which require users to respect the needs of others and to behave legally, ethically, and responsibly with regards to their use of library resources. The following expectations are an essential part of those responsibilities and define prohibited activities in the Western Libraries:
- Excessive noise (loud talking, use of audible radios, Walk-mans, cell phones).
- Eating, drinking (except from covered containers), chewing tobacco or smoking.
- Bringing bicycles into the building.
- Use of scooters, skateboards, rollerblades or other such devices.
- Vending, peddling, solicitation or petitioning.
- Violation of U.S. Copyright Law.
- Blocking entrances, exits or aisles.
- Harassment of library users and staff.
- Removal of library property without proper checkout or authorization.
- Entering unauthorized areas, and/or interfering with library staff in the performance of their duties.
- Entering or remaining in the library after hours.
- Altering or damaging library buildings, furniture, materials or equipment, including computer systems, networks, programs or data. (See Library Computer Use Policy)
- Disorderly, disruptive or threatening behavior including: threats of violence, violence, abusive language, or possession of weapons.
- Sexual offenses including, but not limited to harassment, indecent exposure, unwanted touching, and inappropriate sexual advances.
Any other activity or conduct in violation of federal, state, or local law or ordinance, or university regulation, including those established in the Washington Administrative Code.
- Library users who trigger library book detection systems may be required to open any bags or pocketbooks for inspection.
- Library users must obey all posted regulations and policies in library facilities.
- Library staff have the right to ask library users to produce identification for various services or for violation of policies.
Library users who violate any of these policies may lose their privileges to use the Western Libraries, be subject to University-imposed discipline, and/or be subject to criminal prosecution or other legal action, as appropriate.