- The website will be unavailable from 9:30 pm on 9/19 until 1:00 pm on 9/20 due to a scheduled power outage. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Records Retrieval/Reference Service
Online request form (WWU employees only)
This service is for WWU program units to access their own records in storage in the University Records Center. To access University Archives for historical research, please visit our Historical Collection page.
Records Retrieval Request Process
- Records Coordinator or designee places a retrieval request using the online form*
- *Records Coordinators should contact Archives if they do not already have the required information to place a request. This information is on transmittal forms or spreadsheets provided by Archives.
- Records Center prepares a Record Retrieval form and delivers the requested records. One copy is signed by the recipient of the records and is retained by the Records Center; another copy is included with each item checked out and must remain with the item until it is returned to the Records Center.
- The office of record retains access authority for stored records for the duration of the required retention period. Records Coordinators are responsible for files checked out from the Records Center and for their return.
- Office designees may also review their office records in person at the Records Center. Individuals must arrange this access with the Records Center in advance, and the Records Center will require their signature on a reference form at the time of access.
Returning Records to the Archives & Records Center
Do not send records through the campus mail. Contact the Archives & Records Center for pickup using any of the following:
- Phone: x3124
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Be sure to leave detailed information about the records to be picked up, including size and quantity (boxes or files), location, and contact information. If the location is only accessible at certain hours, please specify that.
Records that are checked out for temporary reference receive a default 30-day check-out period. The Archives & Records Center may send the office a return reminder notice if the records have not been returned after a reasonable amount of time. In response, an office will either return the records upon receiving the notice, or request an extension of the check-out period.