- Due to scheduled maintenance on Sunday, March 8 from 3:00 to 7:00 am, OneSearch may return partial search results. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
The Purpose of the Fly Fishing Collection at Western Washington University Libraries Special Collections is to collect, preserve, and provide access to diverse materials supporting study of the sport of fly fishing.
The collection includes books, periodicals, manuscripts, photographs, artworks, audio and video personal interviews and histories, and fly fishing artifacts such as rods, reels, flies, and fly tying materials.
Access to the Collections
At the heart of The Fly Fishing Collection is the Paul and Mary Ann Ford Fly Fishing Collection of books, periodicals, art, and artifacts generously donated and endowed by Paul and Mary Ann Ford. The focus of the Ford collection is American fly fishing depicted in fine editions of American works of literature and art. See a current list of the titles in The Ford Collection.
Ralph E. Wahl Photographs and Papers
The Center for Pacific Northwest Studies at Western Washington University houses this large collection of photographs and other materials by and about Ralph E. Wahl, eminent Bellingham fly fisher, photographer, and author. For information about the collection, including a detailed inventory, click here.
Art, Science, & Ethics of Flyfishing an award winning course offered by the Huxley College of the Environment, Western Washington University.
With the support of our partners and donors, our goal is to continually enhance and diversify the Fly Fishing Collection through the acquisition of:
- Historically important works on fly fishing
- Current imprints on fly fishing, including fiction
- Recorded interviews with key Pacific Northwest authors who write about fly fishing
- Fly fishing equipment and fly tying materials
- Photographs, artwork, and other media depicting fly fishing, with an emphasis on fly fishing in the Pacific Northwest
- Works exploring and illustrating fly fishing in British Columbia
- Materials illustrating the development and history of fly fishing in Bellingham and Whatcom County, Washington