- All ProQuest products will be unavailable from 7:00 pm to midnight on 2/28/15 due to scheduled maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
In 1998, under the leadership of President Lee S. Shulman, the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching and the American Association of Higher Education initiated a program to promote scholarly approaches to teaching and learning. Based on Ernest Boyer’s expansion of scholarship to include inquiry into teaching (Scholarship Reconsidered 1990), this national SOTL initiative had at least three primary objectives: 1) to improve the learning of all students, 2) to advance the profession and practice of teaching, and 3) to recognize and reward this kind of inquiry in ways afforded to other forms of scholarly work in higher education. To those ends, CASTL sponsors three tiers of SOTL engagement by working with individual faculty, scholarly societies, and cluster campuses.
SOTL invites us to:
- examine practice, document what works, and exchange our findings with others
- address research questions that emerge from our own lived learning experiences, e.g. Does midterm feedback make a difference in student learning?
- study the places “in between” teaching and learning in order to understand the whole learning process better
- build on the idea of teaching excellence “with its focus on effective practice” as well as on scholarly teaching “with its focus on theoretical soundness”(Les Shulman)
- use a model of reflective inquiry into teaching and learning that is marked by peer review and a public exchange of findings, including working with SOTL inquirers at other institutions
- International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching & Learning
- The Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Active Learning in Higher Education
- College Teaching
- Arts and Humanities in Higher Education
- Teaching in Higher Education
- Academic Exchange Quarterly
- New Directions in Teaching and Learning
- Journal on Excellence in College Teaching
- Journal of Cognitive Affective Learning
- The National Teaching and Learning Forum
- Transformative Dialogues
This list is taken from the International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning's website: http://www.issotl.org/SOTL.html